A Planet Youth webinar for parents.
This is a webinar that was organised in response to what the data is telling us, in the Planet Youth surveys, about the poor sleep that our teenagers are getting, and the dramatic effect it is having on their lives.
Planet Youth, as a primary prevention model, gives us as parents together, the opportunity to address and prevent problems before they arise. Planet Youth in the West of Ireland has been doing quite a bit of work in informing the parents of first-year children when they start in secondary school. This webinar and the upcoming Parent Power initiative, is the start of our efforts to introduce and strengthen parent networking in our national schools. Having good networks is a proven protective factor for children and makes life as a parent easier too!
If you’re a national school parent, keep an eye on the parentpower.planetyouth.ie website for more information. It should be ready to go in early 2022.
In the meantime though, if you feel that you’d like to get involved more actively in something like this, as a parent, as a teacher, or as a national school, and you’re in the West of Ireland, just get in touch through the email@example.com address.
We hope you find the webinar useful. There are some timestamps and an indication of content below, together with the links to the slides that Lucy and Emmet used.
00:20 Emmet Major’s presentation on Planet Youth and Parent Power
11:20 Lucy Wolfe’s address starts
- Why do we sleep?
- Some possible effects of not sleeping enough
- The two processes that regulate sleep
- Types of sleep How much sleep do we need?
- Common sleep difficulties What influences your child’s sleep?
- Common causes of sleep challenges
- Let’s talk about bedtime…
- Some steps towards better sleep
- Suggested calming activities
- Suggestions to create positive bedtime routines
- How can your child learn to sleep on their own at bedtime and overnight?
53:30 Q&A starts
- Waking up scared
- Early waking
- Older siblings
- Changes in sleep profile
- Rewards systems – yes or no?
- White noise – yes or no?
1:11:03 Lucy and Emmet – Conclusion and Parent Power